- Religion ghosts in refrigerated truck 09/11/2019
- Well here’s another clue for you all… 05/11/2019
- Model Land and the real world 04/11/2019
- How the seal got his genes 01/11/2019
- Woke awareness solves environmental crisis at a stroke 29/10/2019
Daily Archives: 29/11/2013
In 1853, a mere 6 years before the publication of Origin of Species, a minor textbook written for the education of the public was published with the title Library of Natural History, and the subtitle “containing scientific and popular descriptions of man, quadrupeds, birds, fishes, reptiles, and insects, compiled from the works of…” and there follows a list of the most active and well known naturalists of the day. While most of the text is not very interesting, there are some remarkable aspects of this book, clearly meant to be an up to date summary of the field. First, the word biology is never used.