- Old views on biology tested empirically 01/12/2021
- Pseudoscience and a challenge from history 30/11/2021
- Opinion polls as mind control 29/11/2021
- Revisiting evolution (on the same old season ticket) 28/11/2021
- Get the shot or get shot 23/11/2021
Daily Archives: 05/11/2021
Threats to children about bogeymen seem to exist in all cultures. The common feature is the invocation of a non-existent monster to scare children into good behaviour. The idea is fundamentally abusive, although one must suspect that most children soon learn to take the stories with a pinch of salt, especially if their friends seem to be warned about different bugaboos. Nobody they know ever gets “taken,” and I suspect that the twinkle in the eye of the adult tale-tellers plays a mitigating part too. Even so, in his later years Charles Dickens bore resentment against a childhood nurse who terrorised his dreams with such tales.