- Old views on biology tested empirically 01/12/2021
- Pseudoscience and a challenge from history 30/11/2021
- Opinion polls as mind control 29/11/2021
- Revisiting evolution (on the same old season ticket) 28/11/2021
- Get the shot or get shot 23/11/2021
Daily Archives: 28/03/2021
There is still a prevalent idea that witchcraft was predominantly a mediaeval thing, representing the remnants of pagan religion amongst the peasantry. In fact, the wave of superstitious belief in witches, pacts with the devil and so on was an early modern phenomenon beginning in the sixteenth century, and was at its height of “witchfinders general,” show trials and so on in the following century. Witchcraft was actually very rare in mediaeval times.